Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Little and Friday Poached Pears


Since its pear season we have had an abundance of pears. So I thought I would poach them, I used Kim Evans recipe from her book Treats from Little and Friday. 


Poached Pears Recipe
Adapted from Kim Evans Treats from Little and Friday

  • 6 Pears, peeled and cored ( I used a melon baller to core the pears)
  • 2 star Anise (I didnt have any so I used 1 tsp of Mixed Spice)
  • 2 cinnamon quills or 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp Manuka Honey ( I didnt have any so left this out)
  • 1 cup Sugar
Place enough water in a large saucepan, to cover pears (I used 1 cup of water per pear). Bring to a boil. Add spices, honey and sugar. Stir until sugar has dissolved, then add pears. Simmer for 30 mins, or until pears have softened and becomes transparent but retains their shape. Remove from saucepan, reserving liquid, and allow to cool.

Pears can be refrigerated in an airtight container with their liquid for up to 5 days.

A few Notes: To prevent the pears discolouring while cooking, make a cartouche. Before cooking the pears cut a circle of baking paper to fit the circumference of your saucepan. Cut a hole in centre of the circle to allow some of the steam to escape. Lay the paper on the surface of water while the pears are cooking, pressing down every so often to make sure the steam is released. (I was all out of baking paper, so I used Tin foil instead).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...